Sugar Springs Restaurant - The Hearth
Sugar Springs Q & A!
Kehoe Realty, 901 N. M-18, P.O. Box 496, Gladwin MI 48624
Office: 989.426.0664  ~  Cell Phone: 989.429.0124
If your question isn't answered here, please feel free to call
email me and I'd be happy to find the answer out for you.
What is Sugar Springs?
Sugar Springs is a planned community development, located in northern Gladwin County Michigan.  It covers
approximately 4,000 acres and it boasts some of the area's most beautiful homes and lakes. Sugar Springs also offers
these recreational amenities:

* 18-Hole Championship Golf Course
* Fully Staffed Pro-Shop
* Club House & Lounge
* Two Lakes (Lake Lancer & Lake Lancelot)
* Fifteen Beach Clubs
* Activity Building
* Olympic Size Indoor Swimming Pool
* Tennis and Basketball Courts
* Cross Country Skiing Trails
* Sledding Hills
* Campground & Chalet
Grass Air Strip

What does POA or HOA stand for?
POA is short for Property Owners Association and HOA is for Home Owners Association. The POA has association
rules and dues. The phone number for the POA office is 989-426-4111.

How much are the POA dues each year?
$440 plus lake treatment fees. For 2019, lake treatment fees run $55 for off water lots, $95 for lake view lots and $165
for lake front lots. The lake treatment fees are paid for at the same time dues are paid.
(Updated 2019)

Once I am a member, do I have to pay anything extra to use some of the amenities?
Yes. There are additional use fees for golf, tennis, swimming pool and campground. For more information regarding fees
and types of memberships, please call the POA office at 989-426-4111.

Once I purchase a lot, am I required to build on it within a certain amount of time? No. You are never required to
build on your lot. You are allowed to leave it natural, set it up for camping or build when you're ready, (if ever). Some lot
owners simply purchase their lots for the membership benefits.

What is the minimum size of a home allowed to be built on a lot?
1000 square feet, with the exception on the Islander Realm which requires a home to be 1200 sq ft or more.

Am I allowed to have a modular home placed on my property?
Modular homes are allowed, with POA approval. Must have at least a 4/12 pitch roof. However, single-wide and
double-wide manufactured homes are NOT allowed.

How can I find out what the building restrictions are?
Here is a link to a building/contruction packet (Click Here).

How much does it cost to hook up to the sewer system?
For a camping lot, hookup costs $1500. For a dwelling the fee is $2500. If you hook up as a camping lot and then later
build, you just pay the difference of $1000 for a dwelling hookup.

As a member of Sugar Springs, can I buy a yearly golf membership and golf whenever I want?
You can buy a season membership for a very reasonable fee and golf when you want. (However, there might be fees for
special events and tournaments. Even during these events, your greens fees are still covered through your membership).

Can I use my own golf cart on the course?
Yes, but there is a trail fee.

How big are the lakes?
Lake Lancer is approximately 780 acres and Lake Lancelot approximately 230 acres.

Are the lakes connected so I can boat to either one?
No, these are two separate lakes. Lake Lancer has a public DNR launch at the east side of the lake for public use. Lake
Lancelot is 100% private and only Sugar Springs members have access.

Are these lakes All Sports?
Yes, both Lake Lancer and Lake Lancelot are all sports lakes and are allowed to have speed boats and jet skis on the
water. All sports activities are allowed between 11:00 AM and 7:30 PM. Before 11:00 AM and after 7:30 PM is NO
WAKE time so that people can have quiet enjoyment of the lake for fishing or slow boating.

If I own a waterfront lot, am I allowed to put my own dock out? Yes. You can put out a permanent or seasonal
dock. 4 ft wide 20 ft long. Docks are subject to POA approval.

If I own an off water lot or home, can I dock my boat out on one of the lakes?
You can rent a dock side from the POA for a fee each year, for about $300. (Updated 2019)  You will need to call the
POA office to find out what docks are open to rent. You will want to make arrangements early in the year to insure that
a dock will be available for rent.

What kind of fish are in the lakes?
There is just about any kind of native Michigan fish in theses lakes. Bass, Pike, Walleye, Perch, Crappie, Bluegill,
Sunfish, Rock Bass, Catfish...etc. The lakes are also stocked with Walleye every year.

Can I camp on my vacant lot?
You can camp on your lot in most realms in Sugar Springs. The following areas do not allow camping: Islander Realm,
South Westchester and Shaftsbury Court (in the Highlander Realm #3). Camping is allowed with a permit from April
15th to the 3rd Sunday in October. If you would like to extend your camping permit into November, you can ask for an
extended permit through the POA office until the end of November. During this time you must check into the POA office
once every 14 days to show that the camper is still in use.

Can I store my camper on my lot during the winter?
No. Campers must be off of the lots no later than October 31st unless an extended permit is applied for, through
November. During this time you must check into the POA office once ever two weeks to show that the camper is still in

Is there somewhere nearby that I can store my camper?
Yes. There is a secure, fenced in storage area on Grass Lake Road, east of Sugar Springs. This area has high security
fencing, a locked gate and very good lighting. Storage fee is $105 per year per storage spot.

How many campers are allowed on one lot?
Up to two units. This includes campers and tents.

Is the Airstrip paved?
No. It is a level grass landing strip.

On the Airstrip, can I build a airplane hanger on my lot?
Yes. You can build a hanger (with approval of the POA) if there is a dwelling on the property.

Link to

SS Bylaws and Covenants
Jim and Ivie Baker - Sugar Springs Real Estate Specialists
Jim & Ivie Baker
Principal Brokers/Owners
Main Office: 989.426.0664
Jim: 989.429.0123
Ivie: 989.429.0124
Kehoe Realty
901 N. M-18
P.O. Box 496
Gladwin MI 48624
Sugar Springs real estate in northern Gladwin County Michigan! Find out what Sugar Springs has to offer you!Contact Jim and Ivie Baker for information on homes, lots and waterfront property in Sugar Springs.Enjoy the many amenities, including two large lakes, 18 hole championship golf course, pro-shop,heated indoor pool, clubhouse with restaurant, tennis courts, 15 beach clubs, campground and more!
Email Agents
Sugar Springs Listings
Sugar Springs Q & A
Sugar Springs - Request Information
(C) 2019 copyright  - Ivie Baker - Kehoe Realty
Home       Request Information       Maps       Official Sugar Springs Web Site